Thursday 17 October 2013

Diana Vreeland


As part of one of our lectures we were introduced to a film about Diana Vreeland called 'The Eye Has To Travel'. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film due to how much of fashion history was exposed as well as many famous names, giving me the opportunity to investigate and research. It also inspired me to take a deeper look into fashion history. From her quirky personality to her intriguing eye for fashion, I saw her as a great inspiration. I thought the photography and creativity in this film was truly out out this world. As it said in the film the magazine was to give the reader something that they couldn't get at home, which in my opinion, this was definitely portrayed.

"Any form of rhythm is essential"





From the film I learnt that you can achieve anything you are passionate about and to never give up on what you love to do. She proved this by when she was dropped from Vogue editor, she then became a special consultant to the Costume Institute (Metropolitan Museum of Art) and created a two-dimensional magazine spread feel to the place. In the institue she pumped fragrance into the vents and painted the walls and mannequins, all of this added to the feel and environment of the time she was displaying.


To me I thought that the work she did at Vogue was exceptional and would wish that magazines were to one day appear as they looked then. When I look at a Vogue magazine now, I just don't get the same feeling as when you see the tropical theme of her work and how much thought went into each photo. I am in love with the colours, the patterns, the images and how each image is completely different and unique. Also in the film you can see just how dedicated she was to the magazine, how her family life suffered because of it. The magazine also featured many upcoming celebrities such as Cher, The Beetles, Mick Jagger, Twiggy, Barbra Streisand and many more. 


//sarahprowse


No comments:

Post a Comment