Thursday 17 October 2013

1950's


Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.
-Coco Chanel

My Nannan passed away not too long ago, so I took a rummage through some old photos of her and was shocked with what I found. I had not looked at photos of my family this old before, and I couldn't believe how much of a stylish lady my nan was. Some of these photos are back when she was of the same age as myself. These photos also include a few of my Grandpa as well, who looks like a very smart young gentleman. It amazes me all the lives that have happened before our time, as well as the evolution of fashion. How I would love if this style was the 'Now', the clothes look so beautifully made and comfortable. I also like the fact that these pictures are just what the 'everyday women' wore to get on with her life, go to work, meet her friends and her boyfriend, rather than it being what they wore for magazine shoots for Vogue. It gives a real insight to what people were actually wearing in the 50s.

In the 1950's the war rationing ended and therefore there was a wide variety of fabrics to be used. Women's dresses were bursting with large quantities of fabric, in which case they used multiple pleats, intricate gatherings and collars. The fabrics they used included taffeta, nylon, rayon, wool and leather all in the brightest and boldest colours and patterns. Tiny waists and visible curves returned and women no longer aspired to be 30 years old. Bikinis also seemed to be high-waisted therefore covering a women's stomach. I think the fashion in this era was extremely beautiful and such a wonderful thing to look back onto.


//sarahprowse

No comments:

Post a Comment